Friday, September 08, 2006

Tryst with the Mahatma on Teachers’ Day!


Can there be a better way celebrating Teachers’ Day ** than wishing one’s fav teachers n then watching the movie Lage Raho Munnabhai? I would say this is perfect, just perfect. The part two of the movie Munnabhai MBBS is great.. no it is awesome! Let me first of all make it clear tht m not a fan of Mahatma Gandhi coz I haven’t read anything ‘bout him other than the few chapters of 3-4 pages we have in our history books. The movie simply conveys his preachings in such a manner tht u rarely can disagree with the characters n the director. The Father of the Nation has been reduced to either a statue around which politics is played by vandalizing it or a portrait hung in a frame in the govt offices under which corruption blossoms n comes to full bloom. The younger generation knows him as a face on the currency note n a figure lifting salt to break the shackles of English rule in colonial India. The movie without being preachy n without the ‘do-this-do-that’ dialogues cleanly conveys how we have lost the path which was shown to us by Gandhiji. I don’t remember watching a movie which has this perfect blend of reality n humour. The roles have been perfectly essayed by each n everybody. The soft-hearted don Munnabhai n his best man Circuit make sure u keep rolling with laughter. Vidya Balan looks nice as usual n does well as usual too but I hate her radio jockey character’s ‘Gooood Moooorning Mumbai’ drawl which sounds very shrill to wake up frm deep slumber. Dilip Prabhavalkar is gud playing Mahatma Gandhi while Boman Irani does his small part ok. Apart frm a few scenes which I felt went over the board the whole movie is awesome.. music is also gud. Is it an irony tht the audience is almost emotionless when the Mahatma says tht his statue is being vandalized everywhere but later u can see everyone choked with emotions n fingers reaching slowly to the eyes when the lead characters say sorry to each other? Or is it ok with the kind of world we are living in?

It is just impossible to meet all teachers who have taught till date on a single day to thank them but it is more impossible just to remember all the teachers who have taught. I just remember a handful coz they have been my fav teachers. So thnx to my parents, N.M.Kulkarni, Manjiri Shrikhande, K.M.Gokhale, Mrs. Jugade, Sanjeevani Bokil, Prof. Khake, Late B.G.Kulkarni, Anjali Patil n Girish Modak. Also, thnx to all of u out there (bloggers n non-bloggers) who have contributed in my learning at some or the other turn of my life. As a saint had said “Guru is a guru no matter what his/her age is”.
As we now remember our teachers n thank them for nurturing us how can we overlook the Ujjain incident in which students killed a professor by beating him black n blue. Wht a sorry state of education is this in which students are responsible for their own professor’s death for petty reasons such a college election.. n yes we will be happy to blame all this on the politics entering the education field but it is indeed a sad day for all of us to see a professor die at the hands of goons who run the college under the shadows of politicians. On the other hand we also have a student admitted in a critical state for being ragged by a senior under the garb of introduction. We surely need an idol for today n watching the movie surely makes me think tht Mahatma shld have been there today. Or would he have died a thousand deaths seeing wht the country is into now?

** Teachers’ day or Teacher’s Day?? Again the same question I had asked on Mother’s day .. but now I have decided tht since teachers are many, for me it will be Teachers’ Day while for mom it will be Mother’s Day. Have a gr8 weekend!

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

utter shit...noooo...not d movie! This stupid blogger beta whatever...this is the third time m typing my comment!:(((

i luvvdd d movie:))...and sat among a crowd that was totally into the movie...applauding, laughing, crying...and enjoying the whole experience:)

hmmmmm...i wld luv to re write everything i wrote in the last comment but...it's a pretty insane hour for me to be up and online! i was working on sumthing and now that that's done, m feelin mighty pleased wid myself:))...sooo...m off to bed...g'nite and have a fun wkend:)...!

Anonymous said...

ahaa...typed three times...and cursed this blogger beta...fir bhi 1st:)))....this is my day huh:)! ummm... night!

okk...enuff...

arrey haan wo na the munna bhai example u gave to resolve my fight...was a good one...got me thinking...and hmmm, sab theek hai ab:)...thanks!

now m just wunderin how m i going to post comments on blogs that won't accept "other" / "anon" commentz! hmmmm??!

AnonymousBlogger said...

Sudeep, you're sly. You started with a "Happy Teacher's Day" but then you threw in a movie review - which I appreciate.

Teachers are funny. There are two main groups of teachers: The ones we remember, and the ones we don't. Of the ones we remember there are two sub-catagories: The ones that were great, and the ones that were terrible.

Thankfully, I have run into more that I remember because of their greatness, than because of anything else.

Anonymous said...

I presume Teachers days and Mothers day can be written both ways, with an without the apostrophe. With, it would mean a particular teacher or mother's day; and without all teachers and all mothers.... A safer option!

Aditi said...

Well I am going to watch the movie today, so lets see. But the Ujjain incident caught my eye too especially its proximity to teachers day.
Has teacher's day simply become something the children celebrate in school (while still sheltered and innocent) and forget about later? Do we simply not value teachers anymore who lay the foundation to us becoming the people we are?
Anyways.. great post =)

Astral said...

Nice write-up Sudeep kiddo:):) No honestly, got me thinking....very true. And I am yet to see the movie...wud do that sm time soon....he he he....

sudeep, ek poem likh na pls....essay nahi....:):)

Know what, teachers' day it is for me too.... while i think of all my fav teachers but it also reminds of my *&%$_@+ PT teacher who just didnt like me (he had nine daughters - attempting for a son....LOL... he didnt get one till i passed out my 10th std).

Sudeep said...

@Ishita: itne raat ko kaam? khana bana rahi thi kya? :P
n why did u shift to beta when they have listed so many bugs in it.. the crowd here was also screaming n laughing along with ganpati bappa morya cries after every scene.. lol

@Sean: he he.. it wasnt planned though
i agree with u 'bout the categories.. fortunately have been a gud student till now n had more gud teachers than bad ones

@Sreejith: better safe than wrong eh.. lol.. nice idea

Sudeep said...

@Aditi: enjoy the movie..
the paragraph i deleted was how we would celebrate TD in school.. will try to append it sometime in later posts.. i think gud teachers are respected but not their teachings

@Suchi: glad u liked it..
essay nahi
vinamrata se shama maangta hu.. shama kardo warna durgati ho jayegi :P
n if u mean by the essay in prev post those are song's lyrics frm the song scrolling in header..
he got one after u passed 10th? miracle.. :P

Anonymous said...

Talking of teacher's day, suchi didn't mention that she taught too??!...she taught my nephews when they were in school...even now they talk of "suchi didi" in awe!!! :P

nah...she did a good job wid those two...they didn't know " K KH G GH..." of hindi wen they came to del from a foreign posting...suchi ensured they got good grades @ school here...:))

bas us time pe mujhe hindi nahi seekha paayi..that R managed:)..!

ps: damn beta...&$^%#^$%^&*@#$^%&*!! :((((

Parag said...

i am goin to watch the movie for sure, and it will probably cause me to travel 2 hrs to another city, but i am going to do tht !

Pinks said...

hey sudeep..nice review...me too saw munnabhai part 2...but this babugiri went a lil overboard....neways still liked the movie...n when they were playing jana gana mana b4 the movie ...i just remembered ur prev post on it .. :)

Anonymous said...

... umm Teacher's Day? i ve many great memories of my few good teacher's and im still meeting them back home.

** I have decided tht since teachers are many, for me it will be Teachers’ Day while for mom it will be Mother’s Day. **

... yeah ^_^

enjoy sunday Sudeepuu!

cheers,
-kathy-

Dave said...

hmmm....teacher's day....i don't think we have that here...or maybe we do, and i'm completely clueless

Dalicia said...

i've forgotten about teachers day. they don't have this kind of things in USA.
come to think of it there are a lot of educators in my family. there were some good teachers!! :) wish i could thank them now.

Tarun said...

Yes Munnabhai A good movie and this one could be seen with the family.
I saw it with my friends in my office and thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it.

Keshi said...

Students killed a profesor? OMG I have never heard of such a thing in my life! HOW SAD.

Keshi.

Keshi said...

FOR ISHITA:

Ish if ur reading this, I cant see ur blog! Where is it?

:(

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

why can't u guys view my blog @ sudeep and keshi???

I'm really confused now :(

coz m getting comments from others who seem to be having no probs viewing it....this is way to upsetting...!

Sneha said...

ohh!! why does everybody blog about the movie before I see it!!! most of the beans are spilt. hmp.. (well, actually it would be pretty unfair if i made everybody wait(somehow) till I saw it because that would mean waiting a minimum of 1.2 years after the release of the movie. so, on a second thought, its okay!)

Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

Hey Sudeep, nice blog. Yeah, u put across your Teachers' Day message as well as Munna Bhai review too. Btw, did u wish your Japanese language teacher, who deducted that 1 mark for your honesty? (;-))
I liked the movie but I'd still prefer the first one anyday over this one. The first one is non-stop fun but this one has the MAHATMA-giri msg involved, which I found a little drag coz it reminded me that such things initiated by Munnabhai in the movie can only happen in movies and not in practicality....until of course everyone starts thinking in that same very way...

Keshi said...

the link u gave me worked Ish. But if I try to come from the old link, I cant see ur blog link...:(

Keshi.

Unknown said...

Nice way to link the movie & teachers day Sudeep! Will be seing th emovie this weekend. HEaring all theses reviews I only hope I'm not disappointed.
Sometimes I do wonder if Gandhiji would be proud of the India we are today!?

Lovely post Sudeep!

Rashmi

Sudeep said...

@Kalpz: be happy tht u can read 'bout it 2 weeks ahead of schedule.. :D

@Ishita: gud..
u didnt know Hindi? :o
woh beta i read as hindi wala beta.. n was wondering galli to beta.. huh? lollzz..

@Parag: 2 hrs.. whoa! yeah it might be worth it i guess.. not sure

Sudeep said...

@Pinky: chalo at least u managed to see this movie if not omkara..
thnx for remembering me.. he he

@Kathy: gr8 to hear tht u still meet them when u go home..

@Dave: u can check in the upper portion of the teachers day link i have given for ur country name..

@Elaine: I think they have.. check the link i gave n see if the country is mentioned in it

Sudeep said...

@Tarun: agreed.. :)

@Keshi: yeah they did.. so sad na

@Sneha: 1.2 yrs.. whoa! how can u do this to bolywood.. aise pet pe laath mat maro unke :P

@Priyanka: yeah i wished her.. n said tht since i m first to wish pls give back tht mark :D
i agree with ur not in practicality line

Sudeep said...

@Mona: hey.. welcome here
yeah tht scene was nice.. c ya arnd :)

@Keshi: i could access it normally since yest..

@Rashmi: thnx..
I guess he will be proud to a certain extent.. we aint tht bad na :)

@Ishita: ROFL @ ur cond :P

Anonymous said...

GRRrrrr...this beta non beta thingi...
Munna Bhai nahin dekhi till now :(
Tickets hi nahin milte yaar!!
Planning to go to Pune this Diwali...
If i do..will meet ya :D

Sudeep said...

@Neha: Munnabhai dekhne u coming to Pune? :D
kidding.. sure will catch up.

Anonymous said...

can anybody give me sanjivani bokil's contact no ?