Monday, August 01, 2005

I was born intelligent.. Education ruined me!

Last week (inspite of the heavy rains) the Income Tax Department raided all the educational institutions (I don't know why we call them educational inst. when they don't teach a f*ing thing .. whtevr). If my memory is good, this was the first attack on these colleges which are backed by some strong politicians. Pune is known as the Oxford of the East. I seriously have doubts regarding this coz there isn't a single institution which has good teachers (atleast mine didn't have) or a student-friendly atmosphere (i was failed in my 3rd year viva coz i refused to attend the internal examiner's lectures coz he was a dumbass). The whole education scenario has gone from bad to worse. Anyone interested in making some easy n fast money (add to tht some good political contacts) opens up an engg. or medical college. Youngsters r flocking to this city from all over the country just due to the old notion tht Pune is haven for better education. Time to wake up!


A guest asked the host's 8 year kid "What do u want to b when u grow up?". Expecting a routine reply like a film actor or cricket player, the guest was stumped to hear, "When I grow up, I will open one engg. n one medical college. So I won't have to do anything for the rest of my life".

I have mentioned earlier in my posts, many of my classmates r going abroad for higher studies. Aniket is leaving for France while Mehta is heading towards Sweden. Got Appa's mail 'bout reaching safe n sound to Alabama. I m also thinking 'bout going to Canada (since most of my blog reviewers r frm this place.. lol)


Here (I don't know where else too..) the admissions for engineering are given according to the marks scored in 12th grade. When I was waiting for my turn on the list, I overheard two guys (they had got very less marks) talking 'bout the availibility of seats in good colleges. One of them was asked by a college management (hint for localites... near my house) to cough up additional 7 lakhs for a Mechanical stream seat. Tht boy was ready to shell out those many bucks.... I m damn sure he is still in the First Year coz u can seek admission by throwing money but can't change ur marklist (or can u???.. might be.. shit). A top-class medical college asked a frnd to kindly donate 10 lakhs apart from the fees. She could not afford it n went to a comparatively low ranked college n passed with a Distinction.. way to go gal!

8 comments:

AnonymousBlogger said...

Alabama? Wow. That will be a culture shock.

You should come here to Canada. You'll like it. Well, it's pretty cold, depending where you are, but you'll get used to it.

Anonymous said...

ok barbie.. then coming to Indianapolis.. i also luv the beach.. we could freak out together :)

karla said...

Canada rocks. But I've never lived anywhere else so I'm sorta biased...

If you know how to program and do database administration you can apply for job here when I quit next month...

:)

Sudeep said...

@Ano. Bl. : I didn't get the culture shock thing

@Karla : Thnx for the offer... he he

Parag said...

Really, education has become a business. We were kinda lucky to get out of engg before it got muddy.

Wasim said...

Definately, you need not be talented nor u have to score marks (if someone is not talented he can mug-up and score... what most of us do ), you need only money to get admissions.

AnonymousBlogger said...

I've never been to Alabama, but I think it would be quite different living there than living in India. I believe there are many cultural differences between the two. That's all I'll say.

Sudeep said...

ok..