Wednesday, August 31, 2005

HR Calls

I m trying to figure out how to post via e-mail. If anyone knows 'bout it pls help. This post was pending since a long time. I had listed HR calls (HR- Human Resources) as one of my turn-off. The reason might be:

I joined this company in March this year. Till date I haven't given my office phone no to anyone and also never disclosed my desk extension no. I didn't feel the need for it coz all those wishing to contact me have my cell or home no. So after I joined here, hardly 1 week later my desk phone rang. On picking it up, a very sweet voice of a gal greeted me n said "Hello! Can I speak to Sudeep please?". Thinking that the call was from someone within the company I said "Hi! Yeah...I m Sudeep." Before I could ask who she was, she started off "I m --- (don't remember the name) calling from a job consultancy firm. We have a few job openings in (our company's main competitor name). So r u interested? Are u comfortable talking on this line otherwise give me ur cell no. so tht I will speak with u ltr". First I was stumped but gathering back my wits i asked "I don't have a cell ;). But, can I get a job on just 1 week experience?" "I thought u would have atleast 2-3 mths exp. Gimme ur e-mail id so tht when there is a vacancy suitable for u, I can contact u". I heard someone coming from behind so I disconnected the call. 5 min. later it struck me tht how would the gal know my name before hand. Discussing it with some frnds (they too get such calls), we figured out tht our company itself must be giving the task of such hoax calls to keep an eye on the aspirations of the employees. But, how silly of the caller of disclosing my name (n mine not to catch it immediately).

Then few days before I posted my turn-ons' n turn-offs' a call went like this:
Me: "Hello"
Caller: "Can I know whose extension is this?"
"Sudeep n Santosh"
"And I m talking with..."
"Sudeep"
"Hi Sudeep. I m Neha speaking from XYZ Consultancy. We have some openings for candidates with exp. less than 1 yr. So, r u interested or shld I call on u ltr on ur cell?"
"I joined last Monday, so I don't feel like leaving now"
"Ok. Give me ur mail id so tht...."
"Better way u give ur id so tht when i feel like quitting i will contact u"
"The id is (she blurted out something). Can I speak to Santosh?"
"No he is not here right now."
"When will be he back?"
"He is probably in the toilet with a stomach upset. So I can't tell."
Beep... Beep.. She disconnected the phone n I punched my fists in air like I won a big battle. On seeing this Santosh asked "Wht happened?" I said "Got bored hitting the keyboard keys so just loosening up my hands"... lol

I just want to tell the HR ppl tht I m not planning to leave u (so soon), so pls stop bugging me with those calls.

5 comments:

AnonymousBlogger said...

"The id is (she blurted out something). Can I speak to Santosh?"
"No he is not here right now."
"When will be he back?"
"He is probably in the toilet with a stomach upset. So I can't tell."

I like that.

I don't think I have ever heard of a company "spying" on its own employees. Maybe it is common practise, and I just have never heard of it, but wow I just find that kind of odd.

harsh said...

I think its their job... these people are head hunters... a few years back i too had a similar experience.. Its kinda funny...

Parag said...

Check the settings at blogger, u can post thru mail, the email id becomes username.specialword@blogger.com. Keep on...

Anonymous said...

@VB n Parag: Thnx for the link n info.. but i can't join pics with the post by mail. I will give it a try in coming few days..

Anonymous said...

@Harsh: they have to otherwise they would just keep taking interviews for new joinees n after some exp they all would leave