Monday, March 13, 2006

Take it sportingly :)

South African team celebrating


12th March 2006 will definitely be written in Golden letters in sports history n I was lucky enough to be a witness to tht. South Africa beat the world champions Australia in the final one-day cricket match to clinch the series 3-2. Tht itself is big n wht makes it bigger is the score they chased. Australia had put on 434 runs on the scoreboard n such a huge score is unassailable in all terms of cricket. But, the SAFs’ proved it wrong n came up with 438 which included a scintillating display of strokeplay n superb catches. I m not gud at match analysis, so if u want to read a in-depth analysis visit Tarun’s blog. I m sure he will write on it (or might have already published it). Read Harshal’s blog for Formula 1 scenario. He has a gud post on the new championship race with info on all teams. Yesterday’s race confirmed Renault’s emerging domination but Schumi’s fans r happy to see the Red colour back on the podium.

Sunday was overall a gr8 day for sports lovers. Aust-SA cricket one-day match, F1 season’s first race, Arsenal-Liverpool showdown n India-England Test match… one should have a TV showroom to see all this at one time. Doordarshan (DD), our government channel proved once again tht it is very pathetic to watch. Has anyone watched ‘Aankhein’ on DD? Might be more bashing on this some other day. But, when it comes to showing highlights DD does not know the difference between highlights and live match. TV audience wants to see how wickets fell and how the batsmen blasted the bowlers. They don’t expect to see how a captain sets his field and how a batsman waits for the 12th man to bring him a spare pair of gloves.

Rahul Dravid (India’s captain) is setting the field according to bowler Irfan Pathans need. DD zooms in the camera on both of them get close to decide on whom to set on which position. The conversation caught is courtesy lip-reading skills…

IP: It is hot today.
RD: (eyeing suspiciously) Were u watching Brokeback Mountain last night in the hotel when rest of us were busy watching dancers in the strip-club?
IP: Stupid! I am talking about the atmosphere. I was practising on bowling last nite. Wht ‘bout the fielding strategy?
RD: I don’t think we will need it. Look at both the batsmen. They are not gonna keep their eyes on the ball u bowl.
IP: Wht makes u think like tht?
RD: The batsmen r staring at our wicketkeeper Dhoni. They think tht we have a gal as wicketkeeper. Long hair is definitely beneficial to the team.
IP: (sad smile) Yeah! Girls r going crazy ‘bout his locks. I seem to have lost the title of Most Eligible Bachelor to him. U know after the incident of the 2 gals who had come to my house for marrying me, no one has yet knocked my door. Even the count of fan mails has fallen down. Parthiv (ex-wicketkeeper) was better. He even carried our entire luggage and we could hit him in frustration when we used to lose a match.
RD: I m still wondering why the gals who had come to ur house did not …
IP: (cuts him off) Are Harbhajan and Laxman again fighting?
RD: Where? I can’t see them. My eye-sight is getting weaker day by day. I had told my parents tht I wanted to marry an ophthalmologist but they forced me to marry a General Practitioner.
IP: (points in tht dirn) There… they r fighting ever since tht Ganguly issue raked up.
RD: Hmmm… Greg (coach) is a dumbo. Ganguly is earning so much through advertisements and might feature in some movies also. Yet Greg said tht Ganguly wanted to remain captain for financial reasons.
IP: I am wondering wht will happen of all the established players if Greg keeps on experimenting the team n bringing in new faces.
RD: Thts why I have started to play fast nowadays. Wasim Jaffer plays even slower than me. When I play along with Wasim, I feel like I m Dhoni blasting the bowlers at the rate of 2 runs per over. Time to re-read Who Moved My Cheese?
IP: Hmmm… U know why I didn’t come to the strip-club yesterday. I was busy teaching ‘Bhangra’ to Greg. He said he didn’t look gud in the news channels last time doing the bhangra jig.
RD: But wht has to do with ur bowling?
IP: Not with bowling but it has to do with my place in the team. Munaf Patel also bowls pretty well.
RD: Ohh!! I forgot tht newbie.
IP: Shall we send Kumble near the boundary line?
RD: Yeah.. we will give him rest till he retires.
IP: I think he will quit now after reaching the 500 wickets landmark.
RD: Why are the batsmen not asking for bad light? I want to finish off this soon n want to catch with the next episode of Takeshi’s Castle on POGO.
IP: But, it is shown again at 11 in the night.
RD: But at tht time I have to see Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii. I luv Ekta Kapoor’s soaps.
Irfan faints on hearing this n DD takes a commercial break reminding us tht it is time to switch channels.

The above is not intended to hurt anyone’s sentiments. Not of gals who r crazy ‘bout cricketers n guys crazy ‘bout the game of cricket n ofcourse espescially not of DD lovers. :))

45 comments:

Rays Of Sun said...

Me first:D

Rays Of Sun said...

IP kya hai??

Neha said...

But why did u hv to pick on RD ? :P

awesome match yesterday.. i just read a other similar post, hailing sunday as a great sporting day..lol..

teacup said...

i did not understand anything!!!:(
cricket, F1 races and football matches!!! all greek to me!!

Takeshi’s Castle on POGO.????wat is that?? and i didnt knw u watch pogo!!:))

rahul dravid watching kahani???lol

ishipishi said...

lolz....@yashita! i kinda agree with the first part of her comment...though i admit i sat fascinated last evening watching the last couple of overs...wayy too exciting:-)...!!

and the convo between irfan and rahul...! lolz...i like smiling at the end of the day! and ummm...beginning of a new day! (lukin @ d watch here it's 11:55pm)

Tarun said...

Thanx Sudeep. I had the pleasure of watching both the cricket matches and F1 as well.No prizes of guessing what I hooked on to.
I missed Liverpool vs Arsenal :-( God when was this match.
LOL @ "I m sure he will write on it (or might have already published it)"
*Takes a humble bow*
DD ---> No Comments.
LOL at whole lip reading thing.

Rays Of Sun said...

OYe picked on RD and Kumble..my fav players...and Kumble aint retiring soon...
RD remains the ever reliable:D
Aaj nakkich swapnat yeoon mee tula challee aseen:)))

AnonymousBlogger said...

I've seen cricket played a few times, and I just don't get it. I don't understand the rules I guess.

Hit the stick with the ball. Or, hit the ball with your paddle thing, then run around the stick, and score a point. if you're in the outfield, you try to catch the hit ball. Yeah, that's all i know.

AnonymousBlogger said...

... and that might not even be right. Ha.

Keshi said...

Sudeep is this a strictly-Guys-only post? lol didnt get much of this just like Yash :)


Keshi.

Big Bad Boy said...

I too Heard from many people that the match was fantastic....

I missed the match. I was of Out of station soo can't made i to see the match.

Who is "IP" ???

Sudeep said...

@ROS: Congrats... purna post vachlyavar sagla kahi kalel :p
Kumble n RD is ur fav.. gud.. somewht mine too... i m not at all telling Kumble to retire... it was Dravid n Pathan.. i just read wht they said :))


@Neha: Sorry baba.. everybody is fan of RD kya?
since he is the captain had to choose him
every guy might be writing 'bout the match

Sudeep said...

@Yashita: ha ha.. dont worry u have lotz of company
arre yeh Takeshi's Castle nahi jaanti... ha ha... it is one of the funniest prog on POGO... n yeah i do watch POGO.. atleast better than ur saas-bahu serials :p
I m wondering how i missed this in my fav-4 tag

@Ishita: Atleast another female after Neha who understands cricket.. hmmm.
wht a coincidence.. here also it was 11:55 pm :p

Sudeep said...

@Tarun: The football match was immd after the cricket one...
*Takes a humble bow*
Gosh! U r so modest... :)

@A/B: Its ok.. neither i know all the rules.
A bollywood movie 'Lagaan' got nominated for Oscars a few yrs back n the hero in tht film doesn't know how to play cricket but later learns it n builds a team to defeat the British team in colonial India
Still u have a chance :))

Sudeep said...

@Keshi: hmmmm.. i thought gals will get the convo part atleast
'Yash' is leading the gals team here it seems

@Prasanna: U missed the match? Dont worry u can see the highlights someday later
IP is my Internet Provider :)

Suraj said...

wundervolle Geschichte !!
Kay challay .. ?
Happy holi!

Tarun said...

Managed to see the highlights of Arsenal-Liverpool, Gerrard would be kicking himself.
:-P

Sudeep said...

@Suraj: ja in der Tat
jai ho Google Translator ki.. ha ha
Happy Holi to u too
German release var kaam chalu aahe...

@Tarun: he he he

Kathy said...

Sorry yaar..dunno anything about cricket,sigh!!I do watch soccer(football) but baseball and cricket na.Lol what's that Takeshi's Castle you're talking??Coz here in Japan it's all comedy show..is it the same?ah jane do na..
Happy Holi to you and to all fellow Indians here hehe..(me at heart)at least^_^

cheers,
-kathy-

Sudeep said...

@Kathy: lol.. u r in the same league as some of the gals here
Yeah it is the same Takeshi's Castle.. only thing it is dubbed in Hindi by Javed Jafferi.. it is hilarious
Happy Holi to u too.. the card was very sweet :)

Keshi said...

lolz yes...we girls dun u'stand guys' sport junk..aww did I say junk, Im cho cholly..lol!

Keshi.

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

But u made it sound so real ...

Dravid , PAthan ., And all u guys ... are u hearing this ????

Sudeep said...

@Keshi: junk.. lolllzz
but it is better than ur daily soaps dose of BnB :p

@Deepa: Hey thnx.. u made my day dear :)
they r busy celebrating the win.. :p

Anonymous said...

HAPPY WAALI HOLI HAI THAKUR.........................


RAJ

AnonymousBlogger said...

So do I have a better shot at being a major Bollywood star, or putting together an championship winning cricket team? I don't think I have the time for both.

Dalicia said...

this is a guy thing...keshi you and i can start a girlie post :)

Sudeep said...

@Raj: Happy Holi tumhe bhi Gabbar... iss holi mein Ramgarh ko lutne ka plan successful hua ki nahi? :)

@A/B: Dont worry.. we will see how things go ahead ;-)

@Elaine: It also has F1 dear... wht happened to u now?

Pinks said...

oops...jus barging in ur space but cudnt resist to comment coz rahul is my fav. but y rahul u can pick ganguly n chappel :D ...neways t'was a nice match ..me njoyed it..do visit my blog..

Pinks said...

n i can also c dat u copied the clock from moi blog..

Keshi said...

lol who said I like soaps? did u ever read my post Soap-Allergy? :)


Keshi.

Love you longtime! said...

Oye....IP can also mean Irfan Pathan. Damn... losing my mind.. ain't I? :)

PuNeEt said...

rofl
that was awesome stuff dude

dhoni got a hair cut
;-)

Wasim Jaffer plays even slower than me.
lols hahahhaa
thats true ....

the match betwn Aust & SA was awesome...
nothing can beat that

Cheers

Kathy said...

..just wanna say hi^_^ hmm...cricket still?hehe..
Enjoy guys..
Happy weekend!

-kathy-

Sudeep said...

@Pinks: Welcome here... just make sure u close the door while coming in coz its quite windy these days :D
Ganguly n Chappel r already fighting.. so no point in picking them up
i copy gud things frm everybody ;)


@Keshi: ofcourse... tht post itself reminded me of ur luv for soaps.. lolllzz

Sudeep said...

@Vaibahv: Gosh!! Tht really skipped outta my mind :D


@Puneet: If Dhoni reads this he will never cut his hair.. lol
have a gr8 weekend. :)

@Kathy: Today local tennis was gonna be here.. but it got postponed for tomorrow
happy weekend to u too :)

teacup said...

@Sudeep,hahah...looks like i have keshi for company:)
and hey u just assumed tht we girls like the saas-bhau serials or then BnB...it's only aunties who like them, i like watching travel channel or then history!!:)and i do watch some football matches...not watch actually, but if while surfin i see some hunks i do stop and have a look:)...

@Keshi, lol@junk sports....hahhaha...good one keshi!!!

Nessa said...

That match was really awesome!

Unknown said...

This is what happens when u are so cricket crazy! U end up lip reading everything they say! Nice imagination & a good read!

Watch out before it is too late!

Rashmi.

Dalicia said...

have a great weekend! sending some IRISH luck...PREITY, PREITY ZINTA :)

Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

When ma office colleague told me about this (sorry I dont read newspaper and dont have TV in ma room in pune)...I was like...was it a test match?
he said no..

man...ab zamana aisa aa gaya hai ke...250-300 runs bhi kam lagane lagenge ...hehehe....

How you doing Sudeep zeee??

Sudeep said...

@Yashita: not only Keshi but many others too..
glad to know 'bout ur tastes..
lol@hunks

@Nessa: Yeah... nice profile pic :)

@Ganga: Thnx.. dont worry ..the CDs' will come out soon

Sudeep said...

@Elisa: Thnx dear.. hope ur weekend was gud too

@Rashmi: I m not cricket crazy.. but thnx for the warning :)

@Elaine: Thnx dear... but i m not a PZ fan

@Zoonie: WB! yeah... thts true .. but tht made watching a match even more interesting
m doing gud... :)

Abhishek Almeida said...

Hey so u r a cricket fan man dats so in de blood of india. nice match dat between s.a. n australia really hell razor of an ending. i was de cricket captain of my college.

cheers

Astral said...

Hey Sudeep, when is the next post expected?

Sudeep said...

@Abhi: nice to know tht u r into cricket too
though i cant play well

@Suchi: it is up... why is the question in the purane post?