Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Marriages are made in heaven.. or is it Taj Blue Diamond



Came from Kashid on Sunday night (more on the outing in next post). Was totally void of energy but somehow got up on Monday n went to the office. After coming to the office I noticed in the washroom how horrible I was looking (tht day). The french beard i had was almost covered by the rest of unshaven part. Had worn a tee n a old pair of loose jeans, which could have easily slipped off if the belt was not in place. Could find no excuses for avoiding the work which is piling up, courtesy the pre-poned schedule of execution phase (I hate preparation phase now). Somehow as the day was reaching to an end, I got a call. (Not frm God like in 1 nite@Call centre coz i dont work there)


Anyways, the call was frm home. Mom was telling me to have food outside coz she was going to attend a marriage in Taj Blue Diamond. My mom has now stopped asking me to accompany for the marriages since last 4 years. Lets begin frm there...FLASHBACK --- I am originally a Rajasthani. But, our generations have settled in Maharashtra n 99% of my frnds are Maharashtrians since childhood. So, except the language i dont know anything about my supposedly native place. Now, in our community marriages used to take place in childhood. After modernisation has come into place, the age level has increased. But, still in some families gals are married off at 'bout 18 n guys around 20-21. Luckily my parents r not in this grp of thinkers n have not given a thought for mine. So, whenevr I went to attend marriages around 4-5 yrs back, I was cornered by ppl eager to give their daughter's hand. I m very opposed to this system n so after attending one such marriage, came home n a swear word slipped frm my mouth against an elderly person. So tht was the beginning of my mom not asking me to accompany later for any marriages (including my cousins')... n I am still grateful for tht.


So I agreed to have food outside (though frankly I wanted to go to Blue Diamond.. but no) n resumed my work. Around 20-25 min ltr my mama (maternal uncle) called me up n said tht he was waiting below my office n wanted me to come down. When I went there, he was in a car sitting with my mom n mami (uncle’s wife). They all were going for tht wedding nhe was insisting tht I too go along with them. I explained to him tht I was in no mood for attending a wedding but he didn’t budge. So I pulled on a sweater n went along. (I mean went up the stairs, luckily had a sweater in my locker n then went down) The hotel was buzzing with ppl in resplendent clothes which made me more n more awkward n giving me the feeling of being an odd man out. Soon enuf as the news spread tht Dr. Sharma’s son who has finished his graduation n is currently working is here.. I was literally dragged in a corner by 2 men n then started a barrage of questions Wht I was doing currently n then the date of birth n stuff like tht. In the mean time I was thinking how to while away 1 more hour so I started looking frm the corner of my eye at a grp of gals hoping to find a gud looking one n coincidentally she being one of those men’s daughter. But to no avail… atleast tht would have kept me busy during the wedding ceremony. Generally I restrain myself frm cracking jokes in front of such ppl, but then one of those gentlemen seemed cool enuf to bear tht so.... My mom had told him tht I wanted to study further for my PG n had no intention of marrying so soon. He countered tht with saying tht the right age for a boy to marry is 20-21. I shook his hand n said tht “I am desperate for marriage since last year but my mom wont let me think of it. Pls tell her to let me marry” n after saying tht took off frm there to meet another relative. I didn’t dare to look back at mom’s face… he he he. The wedding ceremony was over n when my turn came to congratulate the couple I was confused to whom to hand over the gift. Simply coz I wasn’t aware frm whose side I was attending. Lolzzz. But since the bride was shy n looking down (they have to act like tht???) I handed the gift to the groom, had food n then left for home.


Don’t know whether I will be attending any marriages in near future but…
Old ppl used to annoy me at weddings by pinching my cheeks n saying u r next. But they stopped doing tht when I did the same to them at funerals

17 comments:

Keshi said...

U sure annoy some oldies dun u Suddzz? lol!


**He countered tht with saying tht the right age for a boy to marry is 20-21.

The guy who said this must be abt 150yrs old?




I know wut u mean..lol...when I go to weddings ppl ask my mum abt my marriage plans...I shut the off by saying to them 'how would it affect ur life'....:)


Keshi.

AnonymousBlogger said...

"Old ppl used to annoy me at weddings by pinching my cheeks n saying u r next. But they stopped doing tht when I did the same to them at funerals"

Ha. I like that. I'm worried that your joke could backfire, and your mother might try to set you up now. I guess it could be a good thing, if she picks out a good girl, but you probably don't want to leave that to chance.

Parag said...

Dont fall for it dude, not you.

That was one the most entertaining posts i ever read.

Anonymous said...

@Ganga: Seems the Me 1st bug also caught u.. gud :)

@Keshi: LOL.. first 100 then 150 :)
Weddings are the perfect occasions for ppl to shop for unweds.
Let me know when u r planning.. ;) .. lolzzz

Anonymous said...

@AB: he he.. no my mom wont set me up coz she herself was married off at 19 n then after marriage she completed her further studies. I m happy dad has been transferred for next 1-2 yrs coz when he is here more ppl come asking for me ;P

@Parag: Thnx.. infact while i was writing this post i happened to remember ur frnd frm m'bai whom u mentioned sometime back

Anonymous said...

@Ganga: Colorful gals.. i hope u mean gals in colorful clothes.. j/k



btw, if u happen to log on to expressindia.com or have Pune Newsline check out the pic of 2 international dog breeders .. they were sitting to my right almost throughout the wedding (the bridegroom's family is in this dog business... fortunately they served food n not dog biscuits to us... lolllzzz)

Anonymous said...

well what if your mom actually gets a proposal for you to consider, since you irked her at that wedding? heheh ...

Anonymous said...

@Ritu: He he... frankly one gal there actually caught my attention.. she was very beautiful.. if i had to marry her there n then i might have agreed..

ha ha.. nope .. not now on 2nd thought

Keshi said...

lol yeah I changed it cos I thought 100yrs is too young to come out with such a bizzare and ancient suggestion :)


**Weddings are the perfect occasions for ppl to shop for unweds.

really? Cos tho there r lots of unweds at weddings, it's really not such a good place to pick up is it? lol!

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

@Keshi: too young.. lolzzz

Anonymous said...

@Divya: btw.. if u wanna get married lemme know.. i hav a beautiful rajasthani frd whos desperate to get married lolzzz
pulls ur cheeks...beta baat chalau ;):P


Ha ha.. i m ready.. lemme know when to come to m'bai..
Do u know a koknasta bramhin gal who is desp. to marry.. i would luv a maharashtrian gal over a raj one anytime.. ;)

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

hi ...

will comment after reading again :))

Anonymous said...

@Deepa: Take ur time :)


btw, sorry for not providing the date for Pune newsline (read comments above).. it was 29th, Tuesday n the
link

Anonymous said...

But no pic there.. just the article

Anonymous said...

sudeep its really very interesting....
so tell me the 'muhurat' of ur wedding. u can suggest us for the gift also.

Sudeep said...

@Divya: ya ya.. ;)

@Gauri: Yup.. since u r my team member will definitely tell u about it :)

ishipishi said...

this wz a fun read...woke me up nice n proper...! glad i got into ur past posts too!...lol even sum of d comments left fr dis one had me laughing...