Saturday, December 02, 2006

I got engaged!


This image is for you all who asked what did I gift my mom on her birthday :P

If you got ‘misled’ by the title (no pun intended Yashita :P) let me clarify that still I definitely have around 3-4 years to utter this statement. It was my team lead who said this one fine morning last month.
Good morning Sudeep!
Hey… morning!
*shows the ring on right hand*
Got a new ring?
Yes
Cool..
I got engaged!
Really? Then why are you wearing that in right? It should be left.
For guys it is on right and for girls it is on left
Ohh.. I thought it was the other way round
Keep aside my ignorance bit and see these pics taken later. The main thing is that he got engaged to a girl within the company. Now that was not a surprise coz we already knew that and in fact we all hang out in the same group. What made me think was that this was the second instance of intra-company alliance and our company policy states that a husband and wife can’t work together. Regarding the earlier couple, not one but both of them left the organization. Now before saying that the policy is right or wrong give it a thought coz this post is coming to that point itself. (Sean I know you would oppose it at Toys R Us coz of _ _ _ _ _ ;))

I have this firm belief that it is better not to take your work, fights and affairs at home. Sort and solve them outside your house but 2 people working together in the same company are bound to discuss an issue pertaining to the workplace. Leave aside same company but a couple in the same field also might be discussing it. I don’t know how much this is prevalent abroad but here I have seen lots of people choosing their partners preferably from the same field in which they are working in. Might be 2 doctors discussing back at home:
Hey honey.. hows was ur day?
Ohh wonderful! I had never seen before a cute appendix like the one I saw today. How about you?
I did 2 successful bypass surgeries today and in another hospital one man died before we could do anything.
Now there is nothing wrong in discussing this, but professional and personal life should not be mixed much is what I feel. If any doctors are reading this please don’t feel bad and I hope you get to see at least one cute appendix everyday and go home and tell your spouse about it. On another thought, it is better to have a partner in the same company so that he/she knows how much work pressure is on the partner’s shoulders and so the “You don’t have time for me” situation doesn’t arise at home. I have a friend who works in a company where they encourage marriage among colleagues (ohh yes I have applied there already :P) and gift a car to the couple. Whenever that friend meets me I pester him by asking how much his prospects of getting a car have grown.. he he. But again ego clashes might be there (remember Abhimaan movie?).

Okk.. now you keep thinking over this while I leave for the day. Happy weekend!

15 comments:

preetishere said...

yipppppeeee!!! me first!! afta such a loooooooong time :)

is post ke baare mein... main kya bolu.. mere level ke upar ka hai ;) :)...

babyeeeee take care happy weekend n :)

Aditi said...

well, i know lots of companies that have such policies and i would think its to keep bias out and if the marriage does sour to stop it from spilling in at work
i think its better to have someone from your own field cuz u do understand the work pressure etc better.. but then with good understanding anyone can accomplish that

AnonymousBlogger said...

Ha Ha. Yeah, I figured some sort of comment would be thrown my way at some point. LOL.

In our defense, we don't work together very often. It's not like we're working 40 hours a week together, so that is my defense.

But I agree that it could pose a problem for people. I've seen it work though too, so it really depends on the people more than anything.

teacup said...

I havne't read the whole post!but I had to say this!

I was hapily shaking my head while listening to "crazy kiya re" and then i read ur post "i got engaged" trust me! my head was like pressed to my comp screen and I was like "whhhhhhaaaatttttt?" so thanks! now I am going to shake my head some:)

Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Am an egoist...and believe me there are going to be lotsa clashes once I get married....thts why I wanna marry someone really smart with brains n all...so that she cant argue with a dum hubby :P

Hehehe.....

Keshi said...

I got engaged too...with blogging LOL!

I really dun think couples should be working in the same place...it's a headache and it's bound to get monotonous and take the toll on the r'ship too.

Keshi.

Keshi said...

btw saw the pics...VERY NICE!

Keshi.

Kathy said...

lol! i thought ur tellin' the whole world now that ur engaged pheww!! ... was shocked of the title! hehe ^_^

... so big "NO" for officemates gals huh??!! awwwww.... u better be engaged to ur desktop goddesses 4ever lol! u virtual prince ^_^

how was ur weekend uncle sudeepu?? Rina sayin' hiiiiii ^_^ to u!!

PrAcHi said...

Hahaha.. nice post sudeep :). Really made me think on this!

I also chose my life partner in my previous company. So, I honestly feel that if u choose ur lifepartner in ur office you have got some benefits.
(1) You have crossed the age of getting infatuated to someone (normally :P). (2) You spend more than 8 hours together, so you know the person better. (3) You are matured enough to take your responsibility and can think over the consequences!
But then yeah.. once you officially get engaged, then I also feel that ego clashes or some other problems may arise, because you get in a a kind of relation. So many companies allow the husband-wives to work in the same company but not on the same project. This is fair I feel.
N yes.. one more thing “You don’t have time for me” situation can (or shud I say, will) arise anytime esp. when you get married :)

Ohh wonderful! I had never seen before a cute appendix like the one I saw today. How about you?
I did 2 successful bypass surgeries today and in another hospital one man died before we could do anything.

Lol… hehe.. we too sometimes end up telling eachother abt how our code is not working and n how many exceptions we got in that. Very rarely, though.

Ekta said...

hey most companies have this policy...but honestly there are pros and cons to it...personally I feel that this should be the decision only of 2 individuals and laying down policies like these dont really help...most people are matur enugh to handle their personal and professional problems and not mix the two!

Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

ha ha haa! I thought u really did! thank god read the post before leaving a scrap on ur orkut :))

yeah most company's have tht policy .. its good actually ... u don wanna get bored seeing ur spouse ALL THE DAY man!
my sis n jijz was an office thingy too ;) ;) ... but he changed his bank before he proposed my sister :D

Arti Honrao said...

Hi! My first visit here :)
You sure have a decent place ... lotsa things to read

Will be back :)


GBU
Arti

ishipishi said...

R's bro and bhabhi work together...and things always seem perfect wid them! ditto for many other couples i know workin in d same work place...not a bad idea at all..

had a luk at ur pic blog after ages...lolz...luvd the turban pics!! and the rangoli is lovely:)

have a gud wkend...:) tc!

Vipul said...

Well the company being proffessional has this policy, cuz they dont want any ineffeciency
that is true on their part as they are paying for work and not for kinky chitchat
Yes true, if a couple is working somewhere it is really difficult to make things proffessional
But there are those who make a proffessional edge even if they are working at the same place
Depends on perceptions and priorities

Dalicia said...

congratulations when is the wedding?
ahhahaah